Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons plain Greek-style yoghurt
- Dash of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Fresh basil, shredded for garnish
- Dash of kosher salt
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek and cook 10 minutes, occasionally stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and thyme and cook about 1 minute.
2. Stir in all the tomatoes. Add the water and broth and simmer 30 minutes over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, break up the large pieces of tomato. Stir in the yoghurt, salt, and pepper.
3. In a small skillet, cook the bread for a minute or two per side to brown, taking care that it does not burn. Sprinkle with the Cheddar and cover the pan for just a minute or two, so the cheese melts. Cut the bread in small pieces and set aside.
4. Puree the soup in batches in a blender. Reheat if needed. Divide the soup among the serving bowls and top with the croutons and basil.
Per serving: 148 calories, 6g fat, 18 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 8 g protein
For more advice and information on healthy living, please contact your nearest Curves club