Do you feel bloated, tired and sick? This might be a post festive month syndrome! New Year is the right time to clean your body of harmful toxins and eat healthier. Food can help you feel better and prevent you from the winter diseases. We have selected the 3 super healthy foods for a full body cleanse and to start the year fresh!
Because detox can be enjoyable, discover our delicious Curves Complete recipes to cook these super veggies.
Rich in anti-carcinogenic elements and antioxidant vitamins A and C, Broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables. Broccoli contains significant amounts of fiber to facilitate better digestion. Adding broccoli into your diet can help your body recover after the festive month’s heavy meals. We advise to eat at least once a week one of the following vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.
Our recipe idea: Lemon Pepper Prawn w/ Brown Rice & Broccoli
- 180 grams pf prawns
- ¼ of lemon juice
- 2 tsps of olive oil
- 50 grams of brown rice
- 80 grams of fresh broccoli
1. Marinate prawns in lemon juice and pepper for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a pan and add olive oil. Drain the prawns and saute until cooked through.
3. Cook rice according to package directions.
4. Place a steamer insert in a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring water to a boil. Place broccoli in steamer insert and cover. Steam for about 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Serve prawns with brown rice and broccoli on the side.
Serving 1: 400 calories – carbohydrates: 30 – protein: 45 – fat: 11
If you don’t often eat celery, you should definitely reconsider to include this super healthy veggie in your diet! Not only is celery low in calories but is also rich in vitamin C, phytonutrients and minerals. It also contains dietary fiber that will aid better digestion as well as losing weight more easily. These fibers helps curb cravings by absorbing water in the digestive track, making you feel fuller for a longer period of time. Last but not least celery is a natural cleanser and detoxifier for your body. A freshly juiced celery can help cleanse your kidney. This vegetable is also know to be a powerful diuretic for removing excess water weight from your body and flushing out toxins.
Our recipe idea: Tuna, Chickpea and Celery Salad
- 90 grams of tuna (packed in water)
- 1 tbsp of mayo (fat free)
- 1 tbsp of brown mustard
- ½ Apple
- ¼ of a large carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 60 grams of cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1. Dice apple and celery. Grate carrot.
2. Combine tuna, chickpeas, mayonnaise, brown mustard, diced apple, grated carrot and diced celery.
3. Tip: 1/4 whole = 2 tbsp grated carrot
Serving 1. 200 calories, Carbohydrates 15 – Proteins 23 – Fat 6
Fennel is well known for its digestive benefits. Eating fresh fennel eases digestion while reducing flatulence and bloating. Fennel is rich in essential minerals that protect bones and antioxidant vitamins that can prevent diseases.
Our recipe idea: Roasted cod with fennel, red onion and balsamic tomatoes
- ½ tsp of Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp garlic poder
- ½ tsp of coconut oil
- 150 grams of sweet potatoes
- 100 grams of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of capers
- 1 whole fennel
- 280 grams of cod (boneless)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red chili
- ½ lemon juice
- 30 grams of mozzarella cheese
Each fillet should weigh around 140g Fennel must be sliced into thin strips Onion and chilli to be thinly sliced Cherry tomatoes should be halved. Mozzarella – chopped up into mini cubes.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
2. Spread the fennel, onion and chilli in a roasting tin and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the lemon juice. Roast for around 7-10 minutes.
3. Spread over the cherry tomatoes and roast for a further 4-5 minutes, then drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Place the cod fillets on top, drizzle with the remaining oil, season with your own spices and some black pepper and the chopped up mozzarella then roast for 10-12 minutes until the cod is just cooked through.
4. Garnish with the capers (drained and rinsed)
Sweet Potatoes Cut Sweet potatoes into Wedges Toss together Sweet potatoes, paprika, coconut oil and garlic powder until potatoes are evenly coated with oil and spices. Place wedges in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes.
Serving 1 – 375 kcals, 48g Protein, 22g, 11g Fat
Cod recipe adapted from Delicious Magazine
If you need some extra help to eat healthier, contact your local Curves club to find out more about our fully personalised meal plan programme Curves Complete.